With fall comes apples and when it starts to get cool it's time to use the oven. So apple muffins ..... these have no eggs or butter with only 2 Tbsp of oil. Of course they do have some sugar but there's no perfect food!
2 cups whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 ripe banana, mashed ( I keep ripe bananas in the freezer and pull one and defrost as needed)
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp oil (I like to use Canola)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp vinegar
1 cup peeled and chopped apples
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, soda and cinnamon.
- In another bowl cream the banana, sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Stir vinegar into the soy milk and add to the banana mixture. Mix well.
- Add flour mixture and apples to the banana mixture. Stir together until mixture is evenly moistened.
- Spoon batter into oiled muffins forms and bake at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until muffins are golden and toothpick comes out clean.
This makes 12 muffins but they are not large muffins. If you prefer them spilling over the top them make 10 muffins. If you do not have whole wheat flour use 1 cup refined flour with 1/2 cup each of wheat germ and bran. That is how I first made these muffins when whole wheat flour was not to be found where I lived. (That was a few years back!)